The Humble Farmer

Banquet Speaker, Entertainer, Humorist

Name:
Location: St. George, Maine, United States

I enjoy standing on stages in front of sober people who like to laugh. I enjoy playing bass in a jazz band.

Monday, September 19, 2005

September 23, 2005

I have a letter from a distant cousin, a very intelligent and well educated man, who loaded his family into his Jaguar and evacuated New Orleans. His big everyday car would have been more comfortable but he couldn’t replace the Jag. Thoroughly acclimated to life in the City of Sin, he pocketed two hand guns for protection and headed for Texas.
After reading his letter I spent some time moving the pasture fence as I wondered how, while stuffed into a Jaguar with mother-in-law, wife, kid and bedding, one would whip out a hand gun and blow away looters. Serious looters.
Don’t you suspect that would be looter-shooters are influenced by the good old cowboy movies we saw as kids, in which Tom Mix and the Lone Ranger simply fired one shot and shattered the gun in the crook’s hand?
But since then you and I have seen news films of real live crooks who riddled police cars with bullets from awesome automatic weapons and kept wounded armed policemen pinned down in the street.
While carrying a gun to protect yourself there is the obvious danger that without too much careful thought or consideration, you could point it at whatever pops out at you from around the corner and shoot. If it is a crook and you miss, he probably won’t. If it is your buddy, we’ll read about it in the newspapers.
If you’ve been around long enough, you and yours have probably been awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of creaking stairs. That’s when a gun under the pillow or in a drawer beside the bed might be a comfort --- as long as you don’t shoot your cousin who ran out of gas and is creeping into your house for help.
If you were an old batch who lived all alone until the age of 54, awakening to an unfamiliar 120 pounds creaking up your darkened stairs was startling but not unknown. Nowadays, according to what one sees on Desperate Housewives, creaking, darkened stairs are the rule rather than exception.
So having first hand experience with creaking stairs in the night, having seen in-store videos of clerks and robbers shooting it out, and having seen how a couple of determined bandits can pin down and shoot up an entire army of police officers, I have opinions on the efficacy of packing iron in the real world.
Would I enjoy pumping 22 birdshot into anyone who came into my house to carry off my Django CDs? Yes. But from what I’ve seen it can be a risky business.

9 Comments:

Blogger blogdollar1 said...

Hi, I like your blog!. I have a blog about used tent camper.
Stop by and check it out sometime at used tent camper

3:51 AM  
Blogger Smallman said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about 6 week body makeover recipe. It pretty much covers 6 week body makeover recipe and other similar topics available.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Joe Muka said...

Hi, Saw you blog last night while searching around. My site about atkins weight loss program and other free diet info needs some work. thanks for a few ideas

5:37 PM  
Blogger jobs123 said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a bbw dating
blog/site. I mostly deals with bbw dating
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airline class discount first ticket
It deals mostly with airline class discount first ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger cash at home said...

Hello, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a advertising email marketing promotion safelists web site. It pretty much covers advertising email marketing promotion safelists web related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a plane ticket to mexico
It deals mostly with plane ticket to mexico plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees health care jobs
. It has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is health care jobs
site/blog. It pretty much covers health care jobs
related stuff.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Hi Hawaii House Cleaning said...

Remarkable blog. I take the neccesary time to find
blogs that are just as good as the ones you do.
In an efford of finding the right info, check for my ky kentucky house cleaning blog site.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home